Nature of business
Provision of Warehousing & Distribution to recently merged store portfolio
Number of sites/employees
New site, drawing on three legacy sites. New leadership team of c70
Nature of the issue/required outcomes from work
As part of a continuing focus on efficiency of Service Centre Operations, a key element was the transfer of operations & personnel from 3 existing warehouses, working at that time for a 3rd party with a range of cultures & work practises, to a single large new warehouse fitted out with WITRON state of the art system. This move included significant changes in hours, shift patterns, ways of working and a desired shift in culture to increase focus on â€˜serving storesâ€™.
The andpartnership were selected to design & deliver a Leadership Development Programme to simultaneously achieve skill development and this significant culture shift.
What was done
After consultation with all levels & aspects of the involved population, the programme included:
- Face to face, briefing with Q&A with Director as first element
- Senior Managers as Mentors â€“ attached to each of 7 Cohorts
- Personality Profile (MBTI) – affirming pre-programme input for all participants
- 6 skills workshops spread over 9 months, supported with activity & feedback
- Transfer of skills for in-house delivery
- Robust feedback/evaluation throughout
- 360 degree feedback and ongoing coaching post programme to embed different behaviours
Results/benefits achieved (hard and soft):
Over the 9 month implementation period, positive scores in the Great Place To Work Staff Survey for the â€œPerforming & Developingâ€ section increased from 45% to 53%, â€˜a statistically significant improvement reflecting increased engagement of the leadership teamâ€™.
â€˜Staff are now volunteering for various jobs, which was not the case previouslyâ€™
â€˜Through use of the tools learned on the programme, my previously disengaged team member is now hitting targets and coaching othersâ€™
“I would rate LDP better than any other management course I have been on â€“ I look forward to LDP2!â€™â€™